Thursday, August 6, 2020

Easy Peasy Lemmon Squeasy...

Every year the Tucson Tri Girls host "Easy Peasy Lemmon Squeasy".  It's a 6 week progressive climb up our beloved Mt. Lemmon.  Mt. Lemmon is ranked 33rd on the top 100 toughest road bike climbs.  It's a 25 mile climb with an elevation gain of 5,500 feet (depending on which "top" you go to).  This year we did Easy Peasy a bit differently since our mountain caught fire on June 5th from a lightening strike and burned 119, 978 acres over 48 days.  We held our annual EPLS virtually over Zwift.  It was a lot of fun being able to ride with our TTG and our sponsors, but our hearts ache for the devastation the fire has cause to our mountain.  I made Thank You cards for our ride leaders.  It wasn't easy trying to do this each week and I wanted them to know their time was appreciated.


And since there's a thing in my house called "Tanya Math"...I had to make one more card...ooops!!!


I used the current week's SC812 for my layout.  Perfect Plum for my base and Basic Gray Kioshi paper.  I had a custom made TTG stamp made with our emblem.  I stamped it in Gorgeous Grape on Neenah card stock.  Sentiment from SU Morning Meadow set.  
Pictures below are from the fire.  They are not mine, just ones I grabbed from Google.
You can see the fire retardant from many miles away on the mountain.  
The planes were dropping it and water non stop.
I don't know how something so devastating can also be so beautiful.
Amazingly no structures, homes, or lives were lost in the fire.

It's just heartbreaking to see the damage the fire caused.


The firefighters worked in triple digit temps day in and day out.


During the 25 mile drive (or in our case, bicycle ride), you'll got through four distinct habitats, from Tucson's desert up through grasslands, woodlands and finally to the forests at the top.  You'll climb a total of 5,500 feet.  In terms of ecosystems and climate...starting at Mile Post 0, it's like driving from Mexico to Canada in one hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment